This free printable letter a book is a fun and easy way to improve your child’s familiarity with long and short a sounds, common sight words, correct letter formation, and even fine motor skills.
This free letter a book can be used to introduce the letter a to preschoolers and to build reading skills for pre-k and kindergarten students. It features printer-friendly black and white graphics and ten pages of letter a learning fun.
This book has both long and short a words like acorn and apple. If you’re using it to introduce letter sounds to preschoolers, you may want to omit long or a short sounds, depending on your philosophy.
In addition to six “I see an…” coloring pages, the letter a book also has space to trace and free write letters, correct letter formation graphics to trace, and a page to find and circle uppercase and lowercase a’s in various fonts. Working with different fonts is important and helps your child recognize that the same letter can appear in different ways.
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made through links at no additional cost to you.
The entire alphabet is available in one handy file. Snag the entire bundle now for just $3: (Keep scrolling to the row of purple arrows for your individual book free download.)
You don’t need much to print your own letter a book:
- Printable PDF (download information is lower down in the post)
- Paper and a printer
- I recommend using 32 lb paper. It’s heavier than standard printer paper, which means the book will hold up better to enthusiastic reading.
- Paper trimmer/cutter or scissors
- Any full sized stapler should work
- You can also use binder rings to make a flip book
How to print and prepare the letter a emergent reader book
First, grab your download from lower down in the post.
Next, print the pages you want. If you don’t want to use every sheet, that’s perfectly fine.
Cut out the pages. A paper trimmer or paper cutter is fastest, but scissors can work, too. Make sure to cut around the entire outer rectangle, not just the inner decorative box. There is a margin on the left-hand side of each page for stapling or hole punching.
Staple the pages or hole punch to make a flip book with binder rings. Any full sized stapler should work fine, but a mini stapler probably won’t make it through all ten sheets.
I printed our copy on my favorite 32 lb bright white printer paper, which is heavier than standard printer paper. I knew my heavy duty Swingline could handle 10 pages, so I tested the book with my inexpensive, slightly smaller, Amazon Basics stapler. It worked fine.
Use with your little learner and enjoy! There are many ways to use this printable letter a book. Here are a few ideas:
- Have your child trace the letter formation graphics with a finger, then with a crayon or pencil.
- Make the letter a find with different fonts page reusable by having your child cover each A or a with a manipulative instead of circling or dotting the letter.
- Read the book aloud to reinforce letter a vocabulary.
- You may want to point to each word to reinforce left to right reading order and promote sight word recognition.
- Have your child work on independent reading with this simple reader. They may find pointing to each word helpful.
- Let your child color the pages.
- For more alphabet coloring fun, be sure to download these free printable alphabet coloring pages.
However you chose to use this printable book with your child or students, I hope they enjoy!
Free printable letter a emergent reader book download
Like all free printables on The Artisan Life, this book is licensed for personal and single classroom use. You are welcome to print and use it with your own children, students, therapy clients, homeschool co-op group, etc.
You are not licensed to redistribute the files or printouts to others adults for use with their children or students. Please refer your friends and coworkers to this post so they can download their own copies.
If you agree to this license, click below:
I hope you enjoy! I’ll be adding the entire alphabet of emergent readers, and more themes, too. Currently you can download:
- Letter b book
- Letter c book
- A llama themed positional word emergent reader cut/paste book in this post with a llama learning pack
- A spring counting book