These free Chinese zodiac animal coloring pages are a fun, no-prep activity for kids! They’re perfect as part of winter theme, Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year theme, or as everyday fun. I hope your family or students enjoy these Chinese zodiac animal coloring page printables!
This post may include affiliate links which means I may earn a commission on qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
The book The Great Race is the perfect accompaniment to these coloring pages. The Great Race tells the story of the Chinese zodiac animals in simplified Chinese, Pinyin, and English. Your book purchase includes access to an audio recording in Mandarin to help with pronunciation or to expose your child to the sounds of another language.
- Lee, Ling (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 37 Pages - 12/03/2020 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
The terms Chinese New Year and Lunar New Year are not exactly interchangeable and they’ve both stirred up controversy in recent years. People in many parts of Asia, and elsewhere in the world, celebrate the Lunar New Year. The dates are not always the same as the Chinese New Year and each region has its own specific foods and traditions.
According to my friends and family living and working in China, it is appropriate to call the holiday the “Chinese New Year” when speaking about Chinese-specific traditions and their spring holiday.
Materials needed for printable coloring pages
You can print these coloring pages on any cardstock or paper. However, the super thin, cheapest copy paper isn’t very durable. I typically use current favorite inexpensive paper. It’s still a bit nicer and brighter than super cheap copy paper, but costs several dollars less than the 32# paper that’s my favorite for planners and headband crafts.
- PREMIUM PRINTER PAPER – Hammermill Premium Inkjet & Laser 24lb Printer Paper is a versatile sheet that’s perfect for double-sided inkjet or laser...
- COLORLOK TECHNOLOGY – This computer paper features ColorLok Technology for colors that are 30% brighter, blacks that are 60% bolder and ink that...
- PERFECT FOR PRINTING – This multi-purpose copier paper is designed to run smoothly through all office equipment for professional results when...
Our favorite crayons are Honeysticks beeswax crayons. They’re made from pure, food grade wax and colorants and they’re chunky for little hands. They actually color better than “normal” crayons.
I’m adamant about selecting natural, safe crayons whenever possible since there have been numerous crayon recalls in the past few years. The only down side is that Honeysticks do come in a relatively limited color palette. These beeswax crayons have more colors, but are the best choice for preschoolers and older kids because they aren’t as chunky as the Honeysticks.
- 100% PURE BEESWAX AND FOOD GRADE COLORS FOR PEACE OF MIND: Experience the natural goodness of Honeysticks, handmade in New Zealand with pure beeswax...
- JUMBO SIZE SO THEY ARE EASY TO GRIP AND HOLD: At Honeysticks, we understand that children develop pencil grip at their own pace. We have developed a...
- 6 EXCITING COLORS TO STIMULATE CREATIVITY - Your child will love expressing their inner artist with an exciting range of 6 Colors. These chubby...
Our favorite colored pencils are Prismacolor. Even the less expensive student line is more soft and creamy than most other colored pencils. They are a joy to color with and have rich colors that children love. Some of our Prismacolors are shown in the photo below.
Our favorite markers for coloring are Crayola Supertips. They come in a lot of colors and wash up pretty well. They ink also lasts much longer than the Crayola “Ultra-Clean Washables” line. (Our Ultra-Clean Washables dried up in just a couple of weeks. It was disappointing.)
- 101 CRAYOLA MARKERS: One 100ct pack of Crayola Super Tips Markers in assorted colors.
- THICK & THIN LINES: Supertips Markers can make thick or thin lines for a variety of coloring techniques.
- CRAYOLA COLORS: This bulk marker set features 100 different colors to make sure you always have the shade you need.
Free printable zodiac animal coloring pages
Let’s take a quick look at the coloring pages. They are shown in groups to help this page load more quickly, but each animal has its own page in the PDF.
These animal coloring pages are available for personal and single classroom use. You are not licensed to redistribute the files to other parents/teachers for use with their children/students. Instead, please refer them to this page so they can download their own copy.
If you agree to this license, you may click below:
I hope you and your little learner enjoy these Chinese zodiac coloring sheets! Make sure to grab these additional Chinese New Year themed freebies while you’re here: