Learn how to make your own aura cleansing spray to clear negative energy from your mind, aura, and room!
Aura cleansing sprays are a great way to cleanse your aura or clear negative energies from a room.
This DIY aura cleansing spray is a much more practical, portable, and sustainable than smudging. It’s easy to make and convenient to use. I hope you enjoy making your own customizable spiritual cleansing spray!
This post may include affiliate links, which means I may make a commission on purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
What is aura cleansing?
Whether or not you believe in auras, I think we can all agree that sometimes you feel down and other times you feel great!
Your aura is your personal energy force. It surrounds your body and interacts with other people’s auras.
Just like your desk, your aura can become cluttered and dirty. Everyone picks up energy from other people. Like how shaking hands can exchange germs, you bump auras with people you encounter. Empathetic or intuitive people, in particular, pick up energetic clutter from others.
Whenever your energy vibrational level is low, you feel low.
Cleansing your aura is like clearing the dust and clutter off your desk. You remove the negative, low vibration energy from your aura and create a bright, glowing, high vibrational state.
Spiritual cleansing sprays can also help you clear the negative energy from a space, like your office, studio, or home. I also enjoy using this aura cleansing spray as part of a full moon ritual. Discover more about creating your own full moon ritual in this post.
There are many different ways to cleanse your aura, but a DIY aura cleansing spray is a very convenient, portable, effective, and affordable method.
When to cleanse your aura
Do you ever feel drained, down, stressed, tense, or generally like you need a fresh start?
Or maybe you’ve been in contact with a lot of “low energy” people? Or just in contact with a lot of people, period.
Perhaps you’re feeling in a rut or creativity blocked?
These are all good times to use an aura cleansing spray!
Other times when you might want to cleanse your aura include:
- When you’re starting a new job
- Before and after having company over
- Before or after meditating
- After being sick or injured
- When you’ve returned home from a trip
You can use an aura cleansing spray any time you feel “down,” but you can also use them protectively. You can spray yourself before heading out for work in the morning, for example. You might also want to clean a room for a fresh start before or after a yoga class or between clients.
How to use an aura cleansing spray
Whenever you do any type of aura/energy cleansing activity, remember that your intentions are key.
Before spraying, set your intention, choose a word, or pick an affirmation to repeat.
- For example, you might set the intention to clear negative worry thoughts and only focus on things you can control.
- You might want to select a word like “peace,” “calm,” or “serenity.”
- Or you might want to create an affirmation. Focus on your desired outcome. For example, you might want to repeat something like “I choose to positively change the energy around me to create loving, healing vibrations.”
- Whichever option you select, make sure to pause for a moment, take a few, deep, conscious breaths, and move forward with a clear intention!
You might also want to make a label for your spray bottle, or simply write on it with an oil-based paint pen, that reinforces your intention. Again, words like calm and peace work wonderfully!
Another great way to raise your vibration is establishing a gratitude practice! Grab a free printable with 5 crazy easy ways to start your gratitude practice in the Member’s Resource Library. Not a member yet? Get your password by subscribing!
Aura cleansing essential oils
A variety of essential oils can help cleanse, strengthen, and protect your aura. Essential oils are an art, so make sure to use a blend that works for you personally. If a particular oil doesn’t feel right to you, don’t use it.
These are some of the most popular cleansing and protecting essential oils. You can use them alone or in combination. Again, do what feels right for you!
- Lavender – Lavender is calming, soothing, relaxing, and cleansing. It can also guard against negativity. It’s a fantastic go-to essential oil!
- Frankincense – Frankincense has been used around the world medicinally and spiritually for thousands of years. It can help cleanse and protect, as well as raise your energetic vibrations.
- Lemon – Lemon acts as both a physical and psychic cleanser. It can also cause photosensitivity when applied topically, so use it sparingly if you plan to spray yourself.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is known for clearing away negative energies and offering protection.
- Cypress – Cypress has been used to for grounding, purification, and protection
- Cedar – Cedar is a traditional aura cleansing oil that clears fears and fortifies your courage and resolve.
You may have been expecting to see palo santo and white sage on the list, but I don’t personally use or recommend them.
Why? Their growing popularity has caused unsustainable harvesting. This post has more information about why you might not want to use palo santo if you’re interested.
Aura cleansing spray ingredients
- A glass spray bottle
- I used 2 oz glass spray bottle. This size is great for carrying in your purse and even bringing on airplanes!
- A cobalt blue or amber bottle is best because they protect the essential oils.
- Distilled water
- Cheap vodka or unscented witch hazel
- Essential oils of your choice
- Charged small healing or protective crystals (also optional but can add power to your spray)
Aura cleansing spray recipe
The exact amount of each ingredient you need depends on how big your bottle is.
The general recipe is 60% distilled water, 40% alcohol (or witch hazel), and a few drops of essential oil.
The alcohol isn’t absolutely necessary, but it helps keep the water from growing bacteria and helps with combining the oil and water.
It sounds strange, but vodka is actually healthier for you to spray around than rubbing alcohol! You can also use unscented witch hazel, if you prefer. Try to find a witch hazel that’s alcohol free (cheap witch hazel is just mostly rubbing alcohol.)
For a spray that you’ll use on your body or in your room, a 2% dilution of essential oil is a good safety guideline.
This means that you can use up to 12 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce (30 ml) of carrier.
For a 2 ounce bottle, use up to 24 drops of essential oil. You don’t have to use that much if it’s too strong for you!
For a 4 ounce bottle, use up to 48 drops of essential oil.
For an 8 ounce bottle, use up to 96 drops of oil. Again, feel free to use less. This is just the maximum safe amount.
So the recipe for a 2 ounce bottle of aura cleansing spray would be:
- Very scant 1.5 tablespoons of distilled water (.75 oz)
- Scant tablespoon of vodka or witch hazel (.5 oz)
- Up to 20-24 drops of essential oil
My personal favorite combination is lavender and frankincense.
I recommend starting with 10-15 drops of lavender and 5 of frankincense, if you have it. If you like the way it smells, fantastic! If you want it a bit stronger, add a little more of one or both oils.
Lemon & lavender also go together well, as to lemon & rosemary and cypress & cedar.
Ultimately it’s about what really works for you! Do not use a combination you don’t like, no matter how “good” it is “supposed” to be. If you don’t like it, it won’t work for you.
For a 4 ounce bottle of smudge spray:
- 4.5 tablespoons of water
- 1.5 tablespoons of vodka or witch hazel
- Up to 48 drops of essential oil.
If you want to include a crystal, like a quartz or amethyst, use a larger bottle and mix up a bit less spray than it could hold. Drop in a cleared and charged crystal or two!
If you enjoyed this aura cleansing spray recipe post, save it to your favorite Pinterest board now so you don’t forget!
2oz DIY Aura Cleansing Spray
This DIY aura cleansing spray helps you clear negative energy from your aura, mind, spirit, and space!
- Clean 2 oz class spray bottle
- Very scant 1.5 tablespoons of distilled water
- Scant tablespoon of vodka or witch hazel
- 20-24 drops of essential oil
- Mix in a clean 2 oz glass spray bottle.
- Shake to combine before using.
More posts to help you raise your vibration
How to create a full moon ritual for self-care and manifestation
What type of measuring equipment do you use to prepare a 2 oz bottle?
I just use measuring spoons for this recipe, then count the drops of oil.