No one likes stinky rugs and carpets – discover how to make homemade carpet powder for a clean, healthy home!
I really dislike smelly rugs, carpets, and furniture. I also really dislike mainstream chemical cleaners and artificial scents.
So what’s a health-conscious mama to do? Make her own carpet powder! This DIY carpet powder recipe is so easy to follow and all-natural for a fresh, clean smelling home without all the chemicals.
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission from purchases made through links at no additional cost to you.
Are cleaning supplies bad for you?
According to the American Lung Association, many household cleaners (including rug and upholstery cleaners like carpet powders) can contain volatile organic compounds and other toxic ingredients.
They recommend switching to non-toxic alternatives, including baking soda. Baking soda is the backbone of this DIY carpet powder recipe – hooray!
Other key takeaways about the safety of household cleaners, according to the American Lung Association, include:
- Manufacturers are not legally required to disclose all all the ingredients in household cleaners.
- Cleaners labeled as natural, green, organic, etc. are just as likely to emit hazardous pollutants as conventional air cleaners (yikes!).
- Avoid cleaners with VOCs and fragrances.
- Check the EPA recommendations for “Safer Choice” products.
People are realizing the detrimental impact air fresheners, fragrances, and cleaners can have on your health. Making accommodations for people with chemical sensitivities, including scents, is now part of the Americans with Disabilities Act!
DIY deodorizing carpet powder recipes
Baking soda is an amazing, non-toxic cleaner! Combine it with some fresh-smelling essential oils or botanicals and your carpets will smell great.
For all the carpet powder recipes you will need a glass mason jar. Regular pint mason jars work fantastically. Citrus essential oils eat plastics, so please use glass!
Make sure to use a fresh, new box of baking soda for maximum cleaning power!
To make your carpet freshener:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix with a fork or whisk to combine, then transfer to your mason jar.
- You can halve all the recipes to make one cup instead of two cups, if you’d prefer.
To use your carpet freshener:
- Sprinkle over your rugs or carpets.
- Allow to sit for ~15 minutes.
Citrus deodorizing carpet powder
Purifying carpet powder
- 2 cups baking soda (one box)
- 10 drops Purify essential oil. All the major brands have a purifying blend, so go with your favorite!
- 2 tablespoons borax powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons food-grade diatomaceous earth (optional – helps with fleas and other pests!)
Relaxing carpet powder
- 2 cups baking soda
- 8 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops frankincense essential oil
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix with a fork or whisk to combine, then transfer to your mason jar. To use: Sprinkle over your rugs or carpets. Allow to sit for ~15 minutes.
You can halve all the recipes to make one cup instead of two cups, if you’d prefer.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Mix with a fork or whisk to combine, then transfer to your mason jar.
Sprinkle over your rugs or carpets.
Allow to sit for ~15 minutes.
Don’t lose track of these carpet powder recipes! Pin this post now!
More natural cleaning product recipes
If you’re conscious about the safety of products you use at home, you’ll probably also like these tutorials.
Natasha is a former classroom teacher turned WAHM. She also is a registered yoga teacher and certified life coach. She shares her passion for education with craft tutorials and free printables. She also shares her experience moving through grief after losing a parent and passion for positive parenting. Learn more about Natasha and where she’s been featured.