This free printable letter Y book is a fun and easy way to improve your child’s familiarity with the letter y, beginning letter sound words with y, common y words, and correct letter formation. They’ll even have the chance to practice their fine motor skills!
This free letter y book can be used to introduce the letter y to preschoolers and to build reading skills for pre-k and kindergarten students. It features printer-friendly black and white graphics and ten pages of letter y learning fun. While you’re here, make sure to get these letter y tracing pages and bubble letter y for your letter of the week activities.
In addition to six “I see a…” coloring pages, the letter book also has:
- A page to trace and free write letters
- Correct letter formation graphics to trace
- A page to find and circle uppercase and lowercase y’s in various fonts. Working with different fonts is important and helps your child recognize that the same letter can appear in different ways.
The entire alphabet is available in one handy file. Snag the entire bundle now for just $3: (Keep scrolling to the row of purple arrows for your individual book free download.)
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made through links at no additional cost to you.
You don’t need much to print your own letter Y book:
- Printable PDF (download information is lower down in the post. Look for the row of purple arrows.)
- Paper and a printer
- Paper trimmer/cutter or scissors
- Any full sized stapler should work
- You can also use binder rings to make a flip book
- Binder clips or quilting clips work, too. I used quilting clips for this particular book when I made it for my daughter becuase my staples were still packed, too.
How to print and prepare the letter Y emergent reader book
First, grab your download from lower down in the post. Look for the row of purple arrows pointing the way.
Next, print the pages you want. You don’t have to use every sheet – you can make the book simpler/shorter for younger children.
Cut out the pages. A paper trimmer or paper cutter is fast and accurate, but you can use scissors if you need to.
Make sure to cut around the entire outer rectangle, not just the inner decorative box. There is a margin on the left-hand side of each page for stapling or hole punching.
The rectangles should line up across all the pages so you can cut multiple sheets at the same time with a powered paper cutter or guillotine-style paper cutter. The book shown below is this letter D book.
Staple the pages or hole punch to make a flip book with binder rings. Any full sized stapler should work fine, but a mini stapler probably won’t make it through all ten sheets. The letter a book is shown below (my stapler was also buried in a moving box when I wrote this post.) Pre-folding the pages along the left edge of the decorative rectangle is helpful, but not absolutely necessary.
Now your book is ready for your little learner to enjoy! There are many ways to use this printable letter Y book. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Have your child trace the letter formation graphics with a finger, then with a crayon or pencil.
- Make the letter Y find page reusable by having your child cover each appropriate letter with a manipulative instead of circling or dotting the letter.
- Read the book aloud to reinforce letter y vocabulary.
- You may want to point to each word to reinforce left to right reading order and promote sight word recognition.
- Have your child work on independent reading with this simple reader.
- Let your child color the pages.
- For more alphabet coloring fun, be sure to download these free printable alphabet coloring pages.
Free printable letter Y emergent reader book download
Like other free printables on The Artisan Life, this book is licensed for personal and single classroom use. You are welcome to print and use it with your own children, students, therapy clients, homeschool co-op group, etc.
You are not licensed to redistribute the files or printouts to others adults for use with their children or students. Please refer your friends and coworkers to this post so they can download their own copies.
If you agree to this license, click below:
I hope you enjoy using this printable letter y book with your child or students! Be sure to grab these additional emergent readers on The Artisan Life: