This free printable letter D book is a fun and easy way to improve your child’s familiarity with the letter d, beginning letter sound words with d, common sight words, and correct letter formation. They’ll even have the chance to practice their fine motor skills!
This free letter d book can be used to introduce the letter d to preschoolers and to build reading skills for pre-k and kindergarten students. It features printer-friendly black and white graphics and ten pages of letter d learning fun.
In addition to six “I see a…” coloring pages, the letter d book also has:
- A page to trace and free write letters
- Correct letter formation graphics to trace
- A page to find and circle uppercase and lowercase d’s in various fonts. Working with different fonts is important and helps your child recognize that the same letter can appear in different ways.
Please excuse the unusually poor photos in this post. At the time of writing, I’m unpacking from a move. I had to use my phone camera instead of my “real” camera and it just isn’t the same.
Alphabet Emergent Readers
The series of printable alphabet books is a work in progress. Download additional books that are currently available by following the links below.
Check back again soon for more printable books - I'm working hard to get them created and shared so you can prepare for the school year ahead.
Free Printable Letter D Book Emergent Reader
Get your free printable letter d emergent reader book in this post
Free Printable Letter Z Book Emergent Reader
Download your printable letter Z book in this post.
The entire alphabet is available in one handy file. Snag the entire bundle now for just $3: (Keep scrolling to the row of purple arrows for your individual book free download.)
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made through links at no additional cost to you.
You don’t need much to print your own letter D book:
- Printable PDF (download information is lower down in the post)
- Paper and a printer
- I recommend using 32 lb paper. It’s heavier than standard printer paper, which means the book will hold up better to enthusiastic reading. I did not use this heavyweight paper for the printables shown in this post, which is why you can see through the pages. (At the time of writing this post, my 32 lb paper was still packed after a recent move.)
- Paper trimmer/cutter or scissors
- Any full sized stapler should work
- You can also use binder rings to make a flip book
- Binder clips or quilting clips work, too. I used quilting clips for this particular book when I made it for my daughter becuase my staples were still packed, too.
How to print and prepare the letter d emergent reader book
First, grab your download from lower down in the post.
Next, print the pages you want. You don’t have to use every sheet – you can make the book simpler/shorter for younger children.
Cut out the pages. A paper trimmer or paper cutter is fast and accurate, but you can use scissors if you need to.
Make sure to cut around the entire outer rectangle, not just the inner decorative box. There is a margin on the left-hand side of each page for stapling or hole punching.
The rectangles should line up across all the pages so you can cut multiple sheets at the same time with a powered paper cutter or guillotine-style paper cutter.
Staple the pages or hole punch to make a flip book with binder rings. Any full sized stapler should work fine, but a mini stapler probably won’t make it through all ten sheets. The letter a book is shown below (my stapler was also buried in a moving box when I wrote this post.) Pre-folding the pages along the left edge of the decorative rectangle is helpful, but not absolutely necessary.
Now your book is ready for your little learner to enjoy! There are many ways to use this printable letter D book. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Have your child trace the letter formation graphics with a finger, then with a crayon or pencil.
- Make the letter D find page reusable by having your child cover each or d with a manipulative instead of circling or dotting the letter.
- Read the book aloud to reinforce letter d vocabulary.
- You may want to point to each word to reinforce left to right reading order and promote sight word recognition.
- Have your child work on independent reading with this simple reader.
- Let your child color the pages.
- For more alphabet coloring fun, be sure to download these free printable alphabet coloring pages.
Free printable letter d emergent reader book download
Like all free printables on The Artisan Life, this book is licensed for personal and single classroom use. You are welcome to print and use it with your own children, students, therapy clients, homeschool co-op group, etc.
You are not licensed to redistribute the files or printouts to others adults for use with their children or students. Please refer your friends and coworkers to this post so they can download their own copies.
If you agree to this license, click below:
I hope you enjoy using this printable letter d book with your child or students! Be sure to grab these additional preschool learning printables while you’re here on The Artisan Life:
Preschool Learning Printables
Download these additional free activities to keep your little one busy and learning without tons of prep time.
Free Printable Alphabet Coloring Pages
Reinforce the alphabet in a fun way with these free printable alphabet coloring pages.
Free Printable Alphabet Play Dough Mats
Download the entire alphabet of play dough mats and discover a recipe for play dough that lasts for months.
Free Printable Spanish Alphabet Tracing Worksheets
Teach your preschooler Spanish at home with these free printable Spanish alphabet tracing sheets!
Free Printable Car Theme Fine Motor Tracing Strips
Your cor-loving child will adore tracing along the "road" with these free car themed prewriting tracing pages.
Free Printable Ocean Prewriting Cards
Help your child practice the specific prewriting shapes that develop skills needed to write letters and numbers with these fun ocean themed prewriting practice cards.
Free Printable Dinosaur Number Building Puzzles
Your little learner will love building the dinosaur pictures and counting along with these free printable dino number building puzzles.
Farm Theme Number Order Puzzles
Help your child learn how to count with these farm theme number order puzzles
Leave a Reply