These cute mermaid theme number order puzzles are fun for preschoolers, pre-k, and kindergarteners. Grab free printable mermaid number sequence puzzles with numbers 1-5, 1-10, skip counting, and blank versions to help your child learn their numbers and practice math concepts.
These mermaid number building puzzles are fun and easy to prepare in just a few minutes. Because there are several options to pick from, you can differentiate instruction with these counting puzzles. Use the puzzles appropriate to your child’s current level and use the blank versions to create customized puzzles. You can even write on these blank write-on building puzzles to practice sight word sentences.
My daughter loves the ocean and mermaids, so there are a fair number of mermaid and ocean themed free printables here on The Artisan Life. If you have a mermaid-loving family, too, be sure to check out these additional free printables while you’re here on The Artisan Life:
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made through links at no additional cost to you.
How to print and use number building puzzles
Number order puzzles are a fun, low-prep way to help your little learner practice their counting skills. Your child builds the picture and counts along. Because the pieces have straight sides, your little learner has to pay close attention to the mermaid picture background and the numbers along the edge in order to build the puzzle correctly. This may seem ridiculously easy to you, but it’s very challenging for young children. Try them with your child and you’ll see what I mean!
- Your free printable mermaid puzzle PDF. Download information is lower down in the post. There are nine total mermaid number puzzles in one PDF
- Printer access and paper
- I recommend 32lb bright white paper. It’s heavier duty than normal copy paper and prints nicer, brighter pictures. It’s also environmentally friendly – HP produces all of their papers without deforestation. For a look at this paper in a side-by-side comparison with several other options, please visit this post on the best paper for printables.
- Laminator and laminating pouches, optional.
- Use these puzzles time and again when they’re laminated. You can also write and erase site word sentences or your own number patterns on the blank versions.
- If you don’t have laminator access, you can cut the puzzles out and “laminate” the individual strips with clear packing tape. It isn’t the same, but it’s better than nothing.
- Paper trimmer/cutter or scissors. A paper trimmer is much easier and faster, but you can use scissors. A guillotine style cutter is more powerful for cutting through laminated pages, but I use my sliding paper trimmer with laminated pages all the time.
These are the exact materials I use:
How to prepare and use number building puzzles:
First, grab your printable PDF files. The download is lower down on the page, below the preview images.
Print your pages. As mentioned above, I always print color printables on 32 lb bright white paper. If I’m going to use my ink, I want the pictures to look their best!
- Made in USA: HP Papers is sourced from renewable forest resources and has achieved production with 0% deforestation in North America.
- Heavyweight premium printing: HP Premium32 is a heavyweight (32 pounds), brighter (100 bright) and whiter (163 whiteness) paper with a super-smooth...
- Certified sustainable: HP Premium32 presentation paper is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified and contributes toward satisfying credit MR1...
Next, laminate the puzzle pages. This is optional, but recommended. I usually laminate printables so they last longer. If you want these number order puzzles to be part of a classroom math center or to be used more than a time or two, laminating is a must. An at home laminator pays for itself quickly.
If you absolutely don’t have laminator access, you can protect the individual strips with clear packing tape. “Laminate” both sides with tape, then cut away any extra.
Cut the puzzles into strips. Even though it’s easier with a guillotine-style paper cutter, I prefer to use my paper trimmer if my daughter is around. The paper trimmer is less likely to take off a finger!
- Quality Tools for Arts and Crafts: From scissors and cutting mats, to rotary and paper cutters, to quilting and scrapbooking supplies, Fiskars...
- Precision for every project: SureCut wire cut-line makes it easy to see where the blade will cut your paper, photo, or scrapbook pages. TripleTrack...
- Portable and Powerful: High-profile blade carriage is ergonomically designed and easier to grip than other paper trimmers to help you make accurate...
Because it’s all straight lines, cutting the pieces by hand is great scissor/cutting skill practice for kindergarteners. Make sure to to use round-nosed scissors and always supervise your child. We use these small Fiskars scissors for cutting activities.
Finally, have your child build away and practice counting!
Free printable mermaid number order puzzles
There are 9 unique pages of number building puzzle so you can differentiate instruction:
- 1-5 (two different mermaid images)
- 1-10 (two different mermaids)
- 10-100 counting by 10’s
- Skip counting by 2’s 2-20
- Skip counting by 3’s 3-30
- Blank with five pieces (great for short sentences!)
- Blank with 10 pieces
All nine pages are conveniently located in one PDF. Keep scrolling past the preview images for download information.
Here’s a look at the pages so you know exactly what’s in your free download:
1-5 number building puzzles
1-10 number order puzzles
Skip counting by 2’s number puzzle
Skip counting by 3’s number puzzle
Skip counting by 10’s puzzle
Blank building puzzles with 5 and 10 pieces
Number order puzzle download area
Like all preschool printables here on The Artisan Life, these mermaid puzzles are licensed for personal and single classroom use. This license includes use with homeschool co-ops, Scouts groups, personal therapy clients, etc. as long as you are personally organizing the activity and not charging specifically to use the printable.
I hope your little learner enjoys using these cute mermaid number puzzles! Be sure to check out these additional resources for your little ocean-lover:
Mermaids, Fish, and the Ocean
Does your little learner love fish, mermaids, and the ocean? You've come to the right place!
Free Printable Ocean Animals Dot it Marker Pages
Toddlers and preschoolers love these ocean animal themed dot it marker printables! Use them with round stickers for a mess free, no-prep activity.
15+ Ocean Books for Toddlers who Love Fish
These books abotu fish and the ocean are perfect for toddlers and preschoolers who love the sea.
Free Printable Ocean Prewriting Cards for Preschoolers
Help your little learner prepare to write with these ocean animal themed prewriting practice cards.
Free Printable Ocean Theme Roll & Count Mats (preschool math activity)
These ocean themed roll and count mats are low-prep math fun! Print them in color or ink-saving black and white.
Free Printable Mermaid Bingo
Make a splash with these fun mermaid bingo boards!
Free Printable Mermaid Prewriting Cards for Preschoolers
Your mermaid-loving little one will have fun practicing their prewriting skills with these fine motor tracing pages.
15+ Free Printable Mermaid Coloring Pages
Get your older kids in on the mermaid fun with these free printable mermaid coloring pages.
Leave a Reply