These free printable ten frame math worksheets for Groundhog's Day are an easy way to help kindergarten students practice basic addition. These ten frame printables have a "making ten" theme that will help your classroom or homeschool students practice their addition facts. I hope you enjoy!
This post may include affiliate links which means I may earn a commission on qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
This Groundhog's Day activity for kindergarteners is a fun way to take a break from your winter theme. They're easy to include in your lesson plans or homeschool plans because they're completely no-prep!
If you're planning a Groundhog's Day theme, make sure to get these Groundhog's Day color by number free printable worksheets, too. Toddlers and preschoolers will also enjoy this Groundhog's Day matching game.
Learning Center members can log in here to quickly and easy access their making 10 practice worksheet. Not a Learning Center member yet? Join for as little as 7 cents a day and unlock unlimited downloads of hundreds of printables.
Not a member? Keep scrolling down the post to access your PDF file. Look for the row of purple arrows and the big blue box reading "click here to download your free printable."
Table of Contents
What are ten frames?
Ten frames activities are a great tool for kindergarten math.
This simple worksheet has 10 addition sentences to complete so your child or student can make 10. S/he then writes the correct number on the blank line to complete the addition sentence. First grade students can also benefit from using ten frame templates.
Although ten frames, and double ten-frames, are used in 2nd grade math, this particular worksheet is not challenging enough for most second grade students.
Ten frames are nifty educational tools that use a simple two-by-five rectangular frame to lay the foundations of a strong number sense in early learners. Using ten frames, children can quickly learn to visualize number relationships and develop essential addition skills.
Ten is a benchmark number in our counting system. Ten frames worksheets allow children to anchor to ten as a reference point and then count or add to solve the addition sentence.
Ten frames make "counting on" easy and are fantastic for visual learners. Children can color or mark in each blank square to fill the ten frame and solve the given addition problem.
Ten frames are also a great way help children develop their subitizing skills, number formation, and fine motor skills.
Using ten frames math worksheets
There are many different ways use this printable. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Laminate the page or place it a dry erase pocket for use in a classroom math center
- Use it for independent work
- Have students complete the page in small groups
- Use it with therapy clients
- Extend the learning by having children write even numbered answers in one color and odd numbers in a different color
- Cut the completed worksheet up to make flash cards
- Extend the activity and improve subtraction skills by asking students "Ten minus (the quantity shown) equals what?"
- Package includes 6 dry erase pocket sleeves in 6 bright colors, which are red, green, yellow, orange, pink, and blue.
- Mr. Pen dry erase pocket sleeves are made with durable and long-lasting PET plastic with industrial-grade stitching according to the highest quality...
- Our dry erase pockets measure 10 x 14 inches, which makes them perfect for storing most sizes of paper or student activity sheets.
You don't need many materials to use this worksheet. Here are some materials you may need:
- Your free printable PDF
- Printer access and paper. This worksheet is in copier-friendly black and white.
- Dry erase pocket and dry erase markers, optional, to make the worksheet reusable.
- Different colors of pen or pencil, optional
- [ With Fine Point, Bright Cloroful Ink Makes a Vivid Imprssion] - Dealkits magnetic dry erase markers in 8 assorted colors: black, purple, red,...
- [ Fast-Drying on Different Surface ] - Dry and residue-free wiping of whiteboards, can be used on any melamine, painted steel, porcelain or glass dry...
- [ Xylene & Toluene-free ink Conforms to EN-71, CE and ASTMD-4236, Safe for Kids ] - With low odor and non-toxic ink, it is harmless to human
The squares in these ten frames are too small to use dot markers. If you'd like larger ten frames so your little kids can use dauber markers, please stop by this post with winter ten frames cards.
Groundhog's Day math activity digital download area
Like other similar worksheets on The Artisan Life, this Groundhog's Day math worksheet is licensed for personal use and single classroom use.
You are not licensed to sell or redistribute the worksheet, even for free. Please refer friends and colleagues to this post so they can download their own copies.
I hope your young mathematicians enjoy using this free printable math worksheet! Be sure to check out the posts below for more free printables in different subject areas for your winter theme with little learners.