This free printable Halloween board game is a great way for older toddlers, preschoolers, and even kindergarteners to practice their skills while having fun! This Halloween board game for preschoolers is fast and easy to set up plus it comes with a free printable die and gross motor cube inserts. Grab your free printable Halloween board game today!
This printable board game is fun at home or in the classroom. It makes a gerat circle time activity and can even be used as a party game for an October birthday party of fall Harvest celebration.
Be sure to check out this page of free Halloween printables for more Halloween learning & fun!
The benefits of board games for preschoolers
Playing board games regularly has many befits for your child. Benefits include practice with:
- Following instructions
- Taking turns
- Emotional regulation
- Fine motor skills
- Gross motor skills, when you use a differentiated instruction cube
- Picture matching (this is an important pre-reading skill)
- Hand-eye coordination
How to print & play
This Halloween game is quick and easy to set up. You’ll be playing just a few minutes from now!
You don’t need much to print and use this game:
For best results, use a heavyweight, high quality paper like 32# HP paper or cardstock. The 32# paper is heavier than standard paper, which means it holds up better to repeated use. Cardstock is another option, but images aren’t as bright and vibrant. I used the 32# HP paper for the printables shown in this post. For a side by side comparison of various papers and cardstocks, check out this post on the best paper for printables.
- Made in USA: HP Papers is sourced from renewable forest resources and has achieved production with 0% deforestation in North America.
- Heavyweight premium printing: HP Premium32 is a heavyweight (32 pounds), brighter (100 bright) and whiter (163 whiteness) paper with a super-smooth...
- Certified sustainable: HP Premium32 presentation paper is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified and contributes toward satisfying credit MR1...
(Sorry the photos are a little dark – we were on the third day of overcast downpours when I finally gave up and took pictures for this post.)
A differentiated instruction cube is optional, but a great way to help your child take a brain break or get their wiggles out. Using a gross motor cube allows your child to get their whole body involved with playing the game.
Gross motor cubes, also called differentiated instruction cubes, are large foam dice with a pocket on each face. They have a wide range of uses in the classroom and can be used with all ages from toddlers through high school.
- Multi-Purpose Learning Tool: Caron Dellosa’s Differentiated Instruction Cubes are customized to help students practice early learning, math, social...
- Dimensions: Each foam dice measures 4 inches x 4 inches x 4 inches, with clear 4-inch x 4-inch pockets on each side of every cube to insert learning...
- What’s Included: This set includes 3 activity cubes Each learning cube features 6 clear pockets to insert photos, words, and other learning visual...
If you don’t have a gross motor cube, that’s okay. You can use the printable die template, instead.
How to assemble your Halloween printable game
First, grab your free printable PDF from lower down in the post. The PDF includes three pages: the board game, a printable die, and inserts for a gross motor cube/differentiated instruction cube.
Next, of course, you need to print your pages. Print the board game and either the differentiated instruction cube inserts or printable die.
Laminate the board game or, even easier, slide it into a page protector. I use heavy duty page protectors. They’re thicker and have a tab to keep the page from sliding out. I didn’t show the page protector in the images because it causes a glare that makes photography difficult.
- Keep contents secure in the protective sleeve with convenient top flap; perfect for holding nonstandard size papers and important items
- Get a crisp, clear view of the contents of your documents with diamond clear page protectors featuring a polished finish for high clarity
- Ensure your documents stay protected with long-lasting super heavyweight sheet protectors for all of your frequently referenced items
Use scissors to cut out the die template or a paper trimmer to cut the die inserts.
- Ideal for cutting a wide variety of crafting materials including paper, photos, scrapbook pages or specialty materials
- Widest base on the market (6 1/4 inch) makes card cutting easier than ever
- Sure Cut wire cut-line makes it easy to see where blade will cut for unmatched accuracy
Assemble your die.
- For the die template, I recommend using glue to to hold the tabs in place, then tape along the edges to reinforce them.
- I prefer to use Tacky Glue because it’s nontoxic and has a high initial tack. It holds much more firmly than other white glues.
- You may want to cover each face with packing tape if you have an enthusiastic little learner.
- For the gross motor cubes, simply slide one card into each face of the cube.
Play! Play is easy.
- Start ar the starting arrow. You can play as a team or players can have individual tokens.
- Roll the die, then move your token to the next matching image.
- If there are no matching pictures between your token and the end of the board game path, you’ve completed the game! You or your team has “won,” but you can allow play to continue until everyone has completed the game, if you’d like.
Free printable Halloween board game PDF
The Halloween clipart in these printables is copyright by DigitalArtsi and is used under license. Thank you, Jane, for your beautiful artwork and generous licensing.
As mentioned above, three pages are included in one PDF. This game is available for personal and single classroom use. You’re welcome to use it with your Scouts troop, homeschool co-op, etc. as long as you are personally organizing the activity and not charging specifically to participate.
I hope your little learner enjoys this free printable Halloween game! Be sure to grab these additional free printables for Halloween: