This free printable four piece Easter lamb puzzle is so much fun for preschoolers and kindergarteners! Your child or students can work on their fine motor skills and problem solving skills as they recreate the cute Easter lamb image. You can also differentiate instruction with an easier version with a completed image to guide your child or a more challenging version without the guide image.
This post may include affiliate links which means I may earn a commission on qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
If you have young children at home (or are an early education teacher) and are looking for low-prep Easter activities, you’ve come to the right place! Here are a few of the most popular Easter printables on The Artisan Life for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners:
How to use cut and paste puzzles
Using a cut and paste puzzle is easy for adults, but can be surprisingly difficult for young children. They tend to look at the shape, not the picture, so each piece being a square makes this puzzle more difficult than you’d expect. That’s why there are two versions: one with a background image and one without. Children who have mastered simple puzzles with the reference image can move on to the plain white background version for an extra challenge.
Here are a few ideas for different ways to use this four part puzzle:
If your child is still learning how to cut, you may want to cut the puzzle tiles out for them. If possible, I recommend allowing your child to use a blunt-tipped pair of small scissors so they can practice their cutting, even if the pieces don’t end up exactly perfect. We have multiple pairs of these small Fiskars scissors. My daughter started using them when she was around two. At four, she’s relatively accurate with them (for a little kid) and loves cutting.
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES FOR KIDS 4-7: Fiskars Blunt-Tip Kids Scissors for cutting through all kinds of classroom materials; Ideal for kids ages 4 to 7; #1...
- SAFE FOR KIDS: A safer blade angle and a blunt tip make these innovative safety scissors a reliable choice for cutting paper craft supplies in school...
- LONG LASTING AND RELIABLE: A dependable classroom essential and great addition to school supplies for kids & teachers; Fiskars craft supplies and...
The squares from the Easter lamb puzzle my daughter worked aren’t perfect, but she was thrilled with cutting them herself and solving the puzzle. Yes – this lamb cut and paste puzzle is preschooler tried and approved! She grabbed her completed puzzle and ran to find her Papa to show him what she’d made.
You may need to help your child remember to only cut the squares with the dashed border. The first time, my daughter tried to cut out solution area, too. It’s okay – we just taped it back together.
Your child can paste the image in place, or not glue it down so they can solve the puzzle multiple times. Little kids usually love gluing. My daughter enjoys using a small pot with a paintbrush and white glue for her gluing activities. For less mess, use a non-toxic glue stick. You can also use poster putty or even a piece of tape.
- Bonds to paper, cardboard, foam board, display board, and more
- Washes easily off hands and out of clothes
- Non toxic and acid free
This cut and paste puzzle can also be turned into a reusable activity in a busy binder or used as a file folder game. Making the puzzle reusable removes the cutting and pasting for your child, but allows them to use the puzzle over and over again. It still provides a fine motor challenge when you use stick-on hook and loop dots.
How to make a busy binder cut and paste puzzle reusable
- Print two copies of your desired page.
- Cut out the puzzle tiles on one sheet. You may want to laminate the tiles for durability. If you don’t have a laminator, you can protect the tiles with clear packing tape.
- Place the un-cut sheet in a page protector. I recommend heavy duty secure page protectors because they are thicker and have a flap to hold the page in place.
- Use hook and loop dot stickers (for example, Velcro brand stickers) on the back of the puzzle tiles.
- Using the opposite type of sticker, place one on each square on the protected page. They will stick on the page protector, not the paper. Place one on each of the four squares in the puzzle completion area and one on each of the cut-out tile areas.
- After completing the puzzle, your child can match the images to the pictures on the tile section for storage.
I hope that makes sense! It’s a little difficult to explain in words. There are photos of the file folder version of the puzzle below. It’s basically the same to set up, except you’re using a page protector instead of a file folder.
How to make a puzzle file folder game
The photos shown below are from a mermaid cut and paste puzzle. Don’t worry – this is the correct post for your Easter chick four piece puzzle!
Print one or two copies of the page you want to use. I prefer to print two so the tiles have an easy storage place that provides additional matching practice. If you keep file folder game pieces in a separate bag or box, you may want to print just one copy.
Laminate your page. I use this inexpensive at-home laminator.
- Thermal laminator machine for protecting printed documents or images
- Includes a 9-inch thermal laminator and (2) 3-mil-thick laminating pouches
- Laminates documents up to 9 inches wide, including letter, legal, business-card, and photo-size papers
Cut out the puzzle pieces.
Tape the puzzle solving sheet inside a file. We got this pack of colorful files last year and still haven’t used them all. Depending on your folder, you may need to trim off excess lamination so the page can be taped in place.
- IT'S LIGHTER ON THE INSIDE; a light interior is easy to label with an ordinary pen, easier to read and prevents accidental misfiles between folders
- BOOST SPEED and EFFICIENCY: color folders in bright red, green, yellow and blue let you spot the right file through color association and speed filing...
- LETTER-SIZE FOLDERS fit standard 8-1/2" x 11" documents; 36 assorted color folders per pack in red, green, yellow and blue; use with matching...
Apply hook and loop dots (for example, Velcro brand closure stickers) to the puzzle pieces, puzzle solving area, and tile storage area. I put the hooky part on the puzzle pieces and the soft, fuzzy side on the page in the folder.
- PACKAGE：Includes 500pcs Hook and 500pcs Loop Coins (1 set = 1 loop coin and 1 hook coin， Total 500 sets）
- STRONG ADHESIVE: Both are made of nylon material and hot melt adhesive with high temperature resistant, very strong self adhesive
- WIDE COMPATIBILITY: This hook & loop coins can be attached to most of things, especially for clean smooth surfaces of paper, plastic, glass, leather,...
Give the file folder puzzle to your little learner and watch them play and explore!
Easter chick 4 piece puzzle download area
As mentioned above, this printable pack has two pages: one with an image to help your child assemble the hatching chick and one page without a hint image. This is what the pages look like (download information is located below the preview image):
You are welcome to print and use these pages as many times as you you want for your own children, students, therapy clients, scouts, library activities, etc. as long as you are personally organizing the activity.
You are not licensed to sell, or redistribute, the files to other adults for use with their students/children. This includes posting them for sale or download on other websites. Instead, please refer them to this post so they can download their own copies.
If you agree to this license, you may click below:
I hope your little learner enjoys the cut and paste puzzle as much as mine does! Make sure to grab these additional freebies for Easter while you’re here on The Artisan Life: