These free printable short i CVC words worksheets are perfect for helping kindergarten and pre-k students learn how to read. There are two short i CVC word worksheets with a simple word search, word bank, and space to practice writing each word. I hope your little learner enjoys this no-prep CVC word activity!
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made through links at no additional cost to you.
What are CVC words?
CVC words are consonant/vowel/consonant words. They are short, three letter words that are usually among the first words that a child learns to sound out as they learn how to read.
I prefer to teach the alphabet phonetically and focus on short vowel sounds first, so that’s how I’m teaching CVC words. Short vowel sounds are more common in English than long vowels. (This can give English Language Learners trouble because short vowel sounds are unfamiliar to native romance language speakers.)
There are 12 short i CVC words featured in these worksheets:
The word search is easy so even young children can solve it. Words are only written in normal reading order from left to right. Words are not hidden diagonally or backwards.
Materials needed for CVC worksheets
It’s easy to print and use these short a CVC worksheets with your child or students. The PDFs can also be used on a tablet with a note-taking app or with the markup feature.
If your child hasn’t worked with CVC activities or word searches before, you may need to help them out. After a time or two, they’ll be a pro and probably won’t want a reminder – they’ll just jump right in! Don’t assume your child won’t be able to solve the word search. At 4.5 years old, my daughter caught on very quickly when I explained the word search to her. She finds it easiest to circle each individual letter. Your child may prefer this, too.
It’s fast and simple to make these short i worksheets reusable. Slide each printed page into a secure page protector or dry erase pocket. We prefer to use heavy duty, “secure” page protectors because they’re easy to organize into a binder and they have a tab to keep the pages from accidentally sliding out. You can also laminate the pages, but page protectors are faster and reusable.
- Keep contents secure in the protective sleeve with convenient top flap; perfect for holding nonstandard size papers and important items
- Get a crisp, clear view of the contents of your documents with diamond clear page protectors featuring a polished finish for high clarity
- Ensure your documents stay protected with long-lasting super heavyweight sheet protectors for all of your frequently referenced items
We like to use Stabilo Woody 3 in 1 pencils instead of dry erase markers. They don’t have ink so they don’t smell and they’re easy to wash off. Because they don’t have ink, there are no stinky fumes. They are easy to wash off hands, tables, clothes, walls, etc. Stabilo Woodies color and write very well on page protectors and laminated pages. Stop by this post with dinosaur coloring pages to see them in use.
- PERFECT FOR KIDS - The STABILO woody 3 in 1 is perfect for kids to draw and paint and ideal for parents too – it washes off windows and is suitable...
- UNIQUE MULTI-TALENT - STABILO woody 3 in 1 coloring pencils also function as wax crayons and watercolors, making them ideal for aquarelle work. They...
- LONG LASTING - STABILO woody 3 in1 pencils are long lasting as their thick shaft contains as much color as eight standard colored pencils.
Free printable short I CVC worksheets download area
These short i CVC worksheets are licensed for personal and single classroom use. You are not licensed to redistribute the files to other parents/teachers for use with their children/students. Instead, please refer them to this page so they can download their own copy.
If you agree to this license, you may click below:
I hope you and your little learner enjoy these free short i CVC word worksheets! Make sure to check back again soon for additional CVC word resources. In the meantime, here are more early literacy printables: