These cute Christmas theme number order puzzles are fun for preschoolers, pre-k, and kindergarteners. Grab free printable Christmas number sequence puzzles with numbers 1-5, 1-10, skip counting, and blank versions to help your child learn their numbers and practice math concepts.
These Christmas number building puzzles are fun and easy to prepare in just a few minutes. There are multiple different puzzles so you can differentiate instruction. Use the puzzles appropriate to your child’s current level and use the blank versions to create customized puzzles. You can even write on these blank write-on building puzzles to practice sight word sentences!
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made through links at no additional cost to you.
How to print and use number building puzzles
Number order puzzles are an engaging, low-prep way to help your little learner practice their counting skills. Your child builds the picture and counts along. They also help build fine motor skills as your child picks up and places the pieces.
Because the pieces have straight sides, your little learner has to pay close attention to the Christmas picture background and the numbers along the edge in order to build the puzzle correctly. This may seem incredibly easy to you, but it’s challenging for young children. Try them with your child and you’ll see what I mean!
- Your free printable puzzle PDF. Download information is lower down in the post. There are nine different Christmas puzzles in one PDF.
- Printer access and paper
- I recommend 32lb bright white paper. It’s sturdierthan normal copy paper and prints nicer, brighter pictures. It’s also environmentally friendly – HP produces all of their papers without deforestation. For a look at this paper in a side-by-side comparison with several other options, please visit this post on the best paper for printables.
- Laminator and laminating pouches, optional but highly recommended.
- Use these puzzles time and again when they’re laminated. You can also write and erase site word sentences or your own number patterns on the blank versions.
- If you don’t have laminator access, you can cut the puzzles out and “laminate” the individual strips with clear packing tape. It isn’t the same, but it’s better than nothing.
- Paper trimmer/cutter or scissors. A paper trimmer is much easier and faster, but you can use scissors. A guillotine style cutter is more powerful for cutting through laminated pages, but I use my sliding paper trimmer with laminated pages all the time.
These are the materials I use:
How to prepare and use number building puzzles:
First, grab your printable PDF files. The download is lower down on the page, below the preview images. Look for the row of purple arrows!
Print the pages you want. Your child may not be ready for the more difficult puzzles, or they may not need the simple ones. You know your child best – print the puzzles they’re ready for.
- Made in USA: HP Papers is sourced from renewable forest resources and has achieved production with 0% deforestation in North America.
- Heavyweight premium printing: HP Premium32 is a heavyweight (32 pounds), brighter (100 bright) and whiter (163 whiteness) paper with a super-smooth...
- Certified sustainable: HP Premium32 presentation paper is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified and contributes toward satisfying credit MR1...
Next, laminate the puzzle pages. This is optional, but recommended. Laminate before cutting to save yourself time. If you want these number order puzzles to be part of a classroom math center or to be used more than a time or two, laminating is a must. An at home laminator pays for itself quickly.
If you absolutely don’t have laminator access, you can protect the individual strips with clear packing tape. “Laminate” both sides with tape, then cut away any extra.
- Quality Tools for Arts and Crafts: From scissors and cutting mats, to rotary and paper cutters, to quilting and scrapbooking supplies, Fiskars...
- Precision for every project: SureCut wire cut-line makes it easy to see where the blade will cut your paper, photo, or scrapbook pages. TripleTrack...
- Portable and Powerful: High-profile blade carriage is ergonomically designed and easier to grip than other paper trimmers to help you make accurate...
The cutting lines are all straight, so kindergarteners can practice cutting their own sheets out with scissors. Make sure to to use round-nosed scissors and always supervise your child. We use these small Fiskars scissors for cutting activities.
Finally, have your child build away and practice counting!
Free printable Santa number order puzzles
There are 9 unique pages of number building puzzle so you can differentiate instruction.
- 1-5 (two different images)
- 1-10 (two different images)
- 10-100 counting by 10’s
- Skip counting by 2’s 2-20
- Skip counting by 3’s 3-30
- Blank with five pieces (great for short sentences!)
- Blank with 10 pieces
All nine pages are conveniently located in one PDF. Keep scrolling past the preview images for download information.
Here’s a look at the pages so you know exactly what’s in your free download. The images are primarily secular with Santa, elves, and reindeer. There is one girl with angel wings on a write-on page without preprinted numbers.
1-5 number building puzzles
1-10 number order puzzles
Skip counting by 2’s number puzzle
Skip counting by 3’s number puzzle
Skip counting by 10’s puzzle
Blank building puzzles with 5 and 10 pieces
Number order puzzle download area
Like all preschool printables here on The Artisan Life, these Christmas puzzles are licensed for personal and single classroom use. This license includes use with homeschool co-ops, Scouts groups, personal therapy clients, etc. as long as you are personally organizing the activity and not charging specifically to use the printable.
I hope your little learner enjoys using these counting puzzles! Be sure to check out these additional Christmas printables while you’re here: