These free printable cute insect coloring pages are so silly and fun! Grab 20 free printable cute insect sheets for children to keep your kids happily busy and coloring. Don’t worry – the insects are cute and silly, not creepy.
These insect coloring pages are perfect for kids. Each page has a silly bug to color and the insect’s name in a bubble font to color or trace. Technically there are 17 insects, a spider, a snail, and a worm. But we’re calling these insect coloring pages for simplicity’s sake! It sounds a whole lot better than “cute invertebrate coloring pages,” don’t you think?
The bubble letters on each page are perfect for rainbow writing, a learning technique where a child traces the same word multiple times in different colors. For even more cute buggy coloring fun, be sure to grab these free printable ladybug coloring pages, too.
This post includes affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission on purchases made through links at no additional cost to you.
These coloring sheets can be used for anytime fun or as part of a homeschool lesson plan about spring, summer, gardening, or insects.
My daughter has always been fascinated with insects, so we have several books about bugs. Her favorite is the DK Big Book of Bugs. The book is physically very large (but not super thick so it isn’t too big and heavy for kids to hold) and filled with close up photos of insects from around the world. It has enough information to be interesting without becoming long and boring. The publisher’s suggested reading age is 5-8, but my 3 year old loves it, too.
- Books, Butterfly, Butterfly Books, Educational Books, Insect Books, Insects Spiders etc., Other Insects, Spider, Spider Books
- Hardcover Book
- DK (Author)
Our second favorite insect book for kids is The Weird and Wonderful Book of Bugs. It’s physically smaller so it’s better for traveling. It has fewer pictures, but more text. There are multiple images per insect, including some fascinating close up photos to show things like the scales on a butterfly’s wings. The author is a PhD, so it has information you can trust. (We recently bought a book on animals at Costco that had several factual errors so I removed it from my daughter’s library.)
- Manderino PhD, Rea (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 50 Pages - 09/15/2020 (Publication Date) - Rockridge Press (Publisher)
How to print and use kids coloring pages
Using these coloring pages is straightforward – print them off and hand them over to your child.
I recommend printing the coloring pages on 32 lb bright white paper for the best coloring experience. Remember those yellow, rough coloring pages in coloring books as a child? They’re not that fun to color on. This 32 lb paper is smooth and bright for vibrant colors and easy coloring.
Another bonus is that the thicker paper doesn’t bleed through as quickly so markers are less likely to stain your table (again).
- Made in USA: HP Papers is sourced from renewable forest resources and has achieved production with 0% deforestation in North America.
- Optimized for HP technology: All HP Papers provide premium performance on HP equipment, as well as on all other printer and copier equipment. 100%...
- Heavyweight premium printing: HP Premium32 is a heavyweight (32 pounds), brighter (100 bright) and whiter (163 whiteness) paper with a super-smooth...
Our favorite markers for children’s coloring are Crayola Supertips. They’re affordable and fun for both adults and children. They’re fairly washable, available in a wide variety of colors, and you can even use them for hand lettering practice!
My daughter’s favorite crayons are Honeysticks natural beeswax crayons. The colors palette is limited, but the colors are rich and creamy.
These crayons are made from pure beeswax with food grade colorants. They’re made in New Zealand so you don’t have to worry about random toxins and contaminates. (Remember all that news a couple of years ago about toxic crayons?)
- 100% NATURAL AND FOOD GRADE FOR PEACE OF MIND: Handmade in New Zealand using 100% Beeswax and Food Grade Pigments for Color. Free from the chemical...
- CLASSIC SIZE THAT IS DURABLE AND ERGONOMIC - At Honeysticks, we understand that children develop pencil grip at their own pace. We have developed a...
- 8 EXCITING COLORS TO STIMULATE CREATIVITY - Your child will love expressing their inner artist with an exciting range of 8 Colors. These handmade...
You can use Stabilo Woody pencils instead of a dry erase marker. They’re actually better than a dry erase marker in several ways. They don’t erase themselves when you color over something you previously colored. They don’t have ink to scrub off and they don’t smell bad. My daughter accidentally got some on the white fireplace surround and it wiped right off. Hooray!
Reusable coloring pages are a huge timesaver and a great road trip activity. You can see a video of the pencils in action in this post with free printable dinosaur coloring pages.
Stabilo Woody pencils are remarkably good at coloring on laminated pages with rich, vibrant colors. Reusable coloring pages are amazing – just wipe them down with a very lightly damp towel and the pencil comes right off. No more printing favorite pages a zillion times. Just print and laminate them once for virtually endless coloring fun.
- PERFECT FOR KIDS - The STABILO woody 3 in 1 is perfect for kids to draw and paint and ideal for parents too – it washes off windows and is suitable...
- UNIQUE MULTI-TALENT - STABILO woody 3 in 1 coloring pencils also function as wax crayons and watercolors, making them ideal for aquarelle work. They...
- LONG LASTING - STABILO woody 3 in1 pencils are long lasting as their thick shaft contains as much color as eight standard colored pencils.
Cleaning the pencil off is easy with a very slightly damp towel. Move to a clean spot on the towel, as needed, and use firm strokes in one direction to clean up quickly and easily. Because the wax crayon is soft, some may get on your child’s hands but it rinses right off, no vigorous scrubbing required.
Printable insect coloring page download information
First, the boring but important bit. These coloring pages are licensed for personal and classroom use. This includes use with Scouts groups, library activities, therapy clients, etc. as long as you are personally organizing the activity.
You are not licensed to redistribute the files or printouts to others for their own personal or classroom use. Please refer your friends and coworkers to this page so they can download their own copies. Thank you!
Because children frequently want this exact thing and nothing else will do, you can download each insect coloring page individually for free. Simply follow the download link located below each preview image. It should open in a new window and start downloading automatically. You may need to authorize Dropbox downloads if asked for permission.
If you’d like the entire set of 20 insect coloring pages and want to save time, you can grab the entire coloring pack in one handy PDF for the very low price of $1.79. (Keep scrolling a tiny bit more for the individual freebie links.)
Don’t worry – the purple watermark is not on your high resolution PDF coloring pages. It’s just there to keep you from printing this preview image – it’s very low resolution and would look terrible if printed.
(A worm isn’t actually an insect, but snails and worms are frequently included in books about insects.)
(Yes, a snail is a mollusk, not an insect.)
I hope you enjoy these cute insect coloring pages! If you or your children enjoy coloring, be sure to grab these additional free printable coloring sheets while you’re here on The Artisan Life: